Georgia Tech students watched in horror as the school’s Pride president was shot to death by police on the Atlanta campus after the student advanced on them with a knife.

Police encountered Scout Schultz, a 21-year-old computer engineering student who identified as neither male nor female, in a parking lot outside the dorms after someone called 911 to report “a person with a knife and a gun,” according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Schultz didn’t appear to be holding a gun in a video recorded from a window above the parking lot, as the campus was placed on lockdown shortly before midnight. But the student was armed with a knife, the bureau wrote in a statement — and video shows officers repeatedly telling Schultz to drop the weapon as the student advances in an apparent suicide by Police follow-through.

Scout Schultz (via Facebook)

“Come on man, let’s drop the knife,”

an officer with his gun drawn says in the graphic video. But Schultz walks toward him.

“Shoot me!”

The officer keeps backing up, moving behind a parking barricade and imploring again:

“Nobody wants to hurt you, man.”

At least four officers had surrounded Schultz by then, according to reports.

In the dorm-window video, one of the officers called out to the student, who consequently turned away from the barricade and began to move toward the new voice.

“What are we doing here?” the officer asked. No reply.

“Do not move!”

“Drop it!”

Someone says finally, as Schultz takes three more steps toward an officer in the suicide attempt, and then comes the report of a gunshot and many screams.

Schultz was taken to an Atlanta hospital early Sunday and died there, according to the bureau, which has released few other details as it investigates the shooting. About 700 people have been shot and killed by police in the United States this year.

Georgia Tech didn’t immediately respond to a Washington Post request for comment.

“Scout’s sudden and tragic death today has been devastating news for the Schultz family, classmates,” the university’s dean of students, John Stein, wrote in a statement obtained by NBC News.

“For members of the community who knew Scout personally, the shock and grief are particularly acute.”

At this time there was no known reason for Scouts suicide attempt but investigations are further ongoing.